Saturday, June 27, 2015

The MetroDBITan student series : Issue #045 - Lim Chee Xiong


Welcome to issue #045 of our monthly DBIT on-line magazine featuring our cool DBIT students!

In this issue, we interview Year 3 student Lim Chee Xiong who is passionate about two things: food and code!

Find out more about him in the transcript below!




Please share your bio-statistics!

Birthdate:  27th June 1996
Zodiac: Rat
Height: 177cm
Weight: 73kg
Horoscope: Cancer

How would you celebrate your birthday this year? What is your most memorable birthday throughout your life?

For my birthday this year, I plan to have a simple dinner with my family at nearby coffee shop/food court where I can choose to order all the good food there and eat. This is usually how my family celebrates one another's birthdays.

The most memorable birthday throughout my life happened during my 13th birthday when I was in Secondary 1. I always wanted a pair of basketball shoes as I loved to play basketball since young. Being a student, I could not afford to buy myself a pair of basketball shoes as they were quite expensive.  But on my birthday that year, my brother passed me a brand new basketball shoes as a birthday present! I was shocked and surprised as I didn’t expect that to happen. Hence, that memory has remained as one of my most treasured so far.



Do a personality test at http://www.16personalities.com.
State your personality type, e.g. ISFP or INTP etc.
After you get your results, read the analysis at this link.
Share whether you agree / disagree with the analysis of yourself.

Image from http://www.16personalities.com/esfj-personality

I did the test and based on the result, my personality type is Consul, where I am a person with strengths like:

  • Strong Practical Skills
  • Strong Sense of Duty
  • Very Loyal
  • Sensitive and warm and good at connecting with others.

For the above qualities, I feel that the analysis is quite true, especially the Strong Sense of Duty, as I am the type of person where I will make sure that my job is done well.
         
For the weakness part:

  • Worried about their social status
  • Inflexible
  • Reluctant to innovate or improvise
  • Vulnerable to criticism
  • Often too needy and too selfless

I believe it is not that accurate, as I personally do not think that I am inflexible, reluctant to innovate or improvise, and too needy/ selfless. But I do agree that sometimes, I am indeed vulnerable to criticism, but these criticisms often turns out to be what motivates me in life.
         

What are two traits you like about yourself?

1) Responsible

The 1st trait that I like about myself is that I am a responsible person.

Being a responsible person,  I tend to do my best in everything that I do, and if I were to miss certain deadlines or have something not completed, for example my assignment, I will feel uncomfortable.

Therefore I will always make sure that I will submit my work or complete my task on time so that things will run smoothly.

I am grateful that I am a responsible person as this allows me to be a better person and to complete work on time.

2) Humorous

The 2nd trait that I like about myself is my sense of humor.

Being humorous really helps in my communication and social skills.  Sometimes, it is awkward when you meet new people or when new people join your group of friends during project work or when you start studying or working in a new environment.

Therefore, being humorous allows me to crack some jokes or break the ice when this happens and through this I get to know more friends and be more likable among my group of friends.



Share stories and photos about your baby / childhood days

I was born in the year 1996, and I have 2 elder brothers.

Being the youngest, I have been well-taken care of and my parents and brothers always save the best for me and I am thankful for that. I grow up in a not-very-rich family, and luckily, not only my family members are caring towards me, my uncles, aunts and cousin treat me very well too. Therefore I am blessed to be born in such a happy family.

According to my mum, I was a "Cry Baby" when I was small and I cried a lot. What I did the most when I am young was watching TV programs (Reason: there isn't any homework to do during that time). Due to that, since young I have been dreaming to become a policeman when I grow up. I feel that it is very cool to catch criminal and "playing" with guns.

Thinking back, I feel that that was a naive thinking as it is most likely not going to happen(due to me not physically fit enough ^.^).

I remember that in the past, I would always get to visit my grandparents on Sunday and it was always the happiest day in the week as I got to meet my uncles and grandparents.

                                                 





Share stories and photos about your school days in primary school

I studied in Hong Wen Primary School from 2003 to 2008, which was at that time located near the ICA Building at Lavender.

My favorite subject in primary school was PE (Physical Education) as I had the chance to exercise and have fun with my fellow friends. At the same time, PE is also the most tiring lesson for me, as at that time, I was a very big-sized plus over-weight guy. Running around for people who are overweight is a nightmare, but I still enjoyed it and I always looked forward to my Friday PE Lesson then, as I had the chance to play captain's ball every Friday.

As for academic result, I was the “average” kind of student as I did not fail my subjects, but did not do extremely well in them either. The only subject that I was confident and good in was Mother Tongue (Chinese), as I was born in a Chinese-speaking family and thus I did quite well for my Mother Tongue.  I am also glad that I managed to graduate from primary school with a PSLE score of 209.

Academics aside, my CCA was Wu Shu and I managed to endure the tough training throughout the six years of studying in Primary School. I still remember that we had to do 100 jumping jacks every training session as a form of warm up, and to me that was the most tedious part of training as it is tiring for a then 60kg big-sized guy to jump. And I still remember that on numerous occasions, I felt like giving up and quitting the CCA. But in the end I still managed to endure and “survived” for 6 years.

   




Share stories and photos about your school days in secondary school

From 2009 to 2012, I studied in Outram Secondary School located in the Outram Park area.

My favorite subject during Secondary school was still PE (Physical Education) just like Primary school, as I feel that sports is a good way to relieve stress while facing a huge hill of school work. Playing soccer and basketball with my bunch of good friends always helped me to relieve stress during PE lesson, which is why PE is always my first choice subject.

Talking about academic results, just like Primary school, I did fairly well without failing lots of subjects besides Chemistry as I am really not good in that. The only subject that I was confident and good in was still Mother Tongue (Chinese), and I was in the Higher Chinese Class. I personally felt that I did not do well for my O’Level examinations, but in the end, I managed to get a L1R4 score of 15, which allowed me to continue my studies in polytechnic.

Outside studies, my CCA was Basketball and joining this CCA became a turning point in my life. Training in basketball is never easy, as there are lots of running and physical training. After going through the training in Secondary 1, I managed to slim down, from 60 kg to around 55 kg and I grew much taller, from 160cm to 173cm.  It might be due to the jumping training, physical training or simply just puberty, but I became fitter and healthier and not over-weight anymore. Therefore, I am really grateful that I joined this CCA. I eventually managed to get into the school team, and I feel proud to play for my school, even though I am not the star player of the team.

Lastly, I met with a bunch of people that I end up becoming best buddies with, and to me, secondary school days is still the most fun and interesting period to me.
 






Share your likes and dislikes

My hobbies is drawing and reading. When  I am free, I will either read some books or just pick up a pencil and start drawing.

Below is one example of a drawing that I have drawn (also the one that I liked the most):



And here's one more.



Reading wise, my favorite books will be those from the Percy Jackson series. The series revolves around a boy named Percy Jackson who is a demi-god with special powers. The engaging story-line of this series made me finish all the sequels (about 5 books in the series if I am not wrong) in just 1 week.

When I am free, I also tend to meet-up with friends and play sports like soccer and basketball or go jogging around a nearby park.

Music is another area that I can’t live without. I listen to a variety of songs - Chinese songs, English songs, Korean pop songs, Japanese pop songs, Cantonese songs and even Hokkien songs. Personally, I prefer Chinese songs as I think the lyrics are more meaningful and the melodies are more pleasing to me.

Last thing that I liked the most is… FOOD! I will usually go around hunting for good food. My favorite food is chicken rice, therefore I will go around finding delicious chicken rice.  I am glad that there are a few stalls nearby my house that sell tasty chicken rice. I will usually take pictures of food that is tasty and nice. Below are some photos that I have taken:





Personally, I do not like restaurants, coffee shops or retail stores that have poor service attitude, as I feel that if you are in the service line, you should be polite whenever you attend to customers, and not give a black face when you are serving the customer. Therefore, if the place/store has poor service standards, I will usually avoid these places so that I will not be annoyed if the service is poor.
Adding on to that, I don’t like people who are rude to elderly, as I feel that it is really disrespectful to be rude to elderly.



Three people that you want to thank or shout out to

I am not very good in showing my gratitude by writing, but below are some people that I really wanted to  give thanks to.

The first person that I want to thank is my mum. Without her support, I wouldn’t be what I am now. Thank you is a very small word, for the sacrifices she makes every day. Best friends come and go, boyfriends and girlfriends love and move on, but the only person present through it all is a mother. Thanks for always being there for me!

Next, I would like to thank my two elder brothers, who too given me support when I needed the most. They are there supporting me even if I don’t want and caring me even if I don’t need. Thanks Bro!



Lastly, I would like to thanks 2 groups of people instead a single person. I wanted to thank all my friends and all my teachers and lecturers as I wouldn’t make it this far without them. There are so many of them and it would take me days to thank them all. Therefore, I just wanted to thank people who are in these 2 groups and I am really fortunate and grateful that I have people around me who showed care and concern whenever I need it most.


Why did you choose DBIT course?

Personally for me, I choose DBIT as I feel that it will be good if I have IT knowledge and Business knowledge at the same time as nowadays, knowing IT is definitely an advantage as IT is an increasing trend. Adding on to that, with Business knowledge, I feel that it will be a bonus for me when I graduate and work in the real world.


What do you like about DBIT course? What would you want to improve about the DBIT course?

What I like about DBIT is that I get to learn modules that involves in Business and IT. Even though I learned more IT related modules, I definitely have an edge when applying for a job as when comparing to graduates from DIT, I have some business knowledge and I know how to do real business using the help of IT through module like entrepreneurship. When comparing to the Business students, I have the IT/coding knowledge that allows me to develop something on my own without the help of people from IT department in the future. Therefore, I think it is a correct and wise choice after all.

I feel that modules like Java Programming shouldn’t be removed as it is actually helpful if future DBIT students get to learn it, since Java is used in many IT applications.  Also, I feel that the IT-related modules taught is a bit too “shallow”,  as what we have learn is considered entry level/ beginners level as, in the real working world, what we have learn in Polytechnic is definitely not enough to meet the client/company requirement.  Therefore, it will be good if the DBIT students get to learn more in-depth coding skills, so that they will be better prepared to work in the future.


What do you plan to do after graduation from SP? Go for further studies or work?

After graduating from SP, I will move on to serve NS (National Service).

But after that, if possible, I will want to continue studying in university. I have not decided which university and course that I will like to be studying in, but I hope that I can get into SMU as it is nearer to my house, Haha.

Most likely I will proceed with IT related course and after getting the university certificate, I will move on to work in IT related industry.


What are your favourite modules in SP? Why?

My favorite module in SP is Year 2 module, Web Application Development, which is a coding-related module that requires student to make use of HTML+ JQuery + CSS + PHP language to code out a complete website.

It is considered a more advance stuff as compared to my Year 1 module, Web Client Development, and since I have developed an interest in coding after 1.5 years of studying in DBIT, I feel that this module is an interesting module that I like.

I enjoy coding websites and I feel that this module allow me to apply what I have learnt, and thus is my favorite module.



Do you have a CCA in SP?

I am in SP Environment Club, and it is a CCA which organize environment related events. I hold the position of Quarter Master which is mainly in-charge of all the “sai gang” work of the CCA. My most recent experience is organizing the Freshman Orientation Camp for the CCA, where it is a 2-day non-staying over camp. We played amazing race and bonding games, and I will say that the camp is considered successful.




I have also participated in events like toner collection, coastal clean-up, and many other events.  But I really have to thank my fellow main committee members for guiding me and helping me settle down in the CCA and also helping me with the logistic and planning of the different events.



Thanks so much for all the effort!



Please share 3 pictures of your past projects or assignments

This is my Year 2 Web Application Development (WAD) assignment which required us to create an e-commerce website using php.  I chose to create a bakery website as shown below.



Below is another website I created when I was in Year 1.




Finally, here's my Year 2 assignment for the module Interaction and Visual Design (IVDE).  Our lecturer required us to do re-design of the website of the client we worked with in our module in Year 1 which for me, is a company called Butter Studio. We were tasked to improve the user experience and visual aspect of the website.





Are you currently attached with a partner?

Currently I am still single!  :’(

I would hope that my future girlfriend have qualities such as filial, caring and honest. Therefore I hope that my Mrs Right will arrive soon haha.


Please share more photos of yourself!






   

No comments: