Tuesday, March 31, 2015

The MetroDBITan student series : Issue #042 - Ashley Chua

Hello DBIT peeps!

Thanks for supporting yet another issue of our monthly MetroDBITan magazine featuring our awesome Diploma in Business Information Technology (DBIT) students! :)

As we near the end of the month of March 2015, let's also celebrate the completion of a major milestone for some 130 DBIT students who will proudly graduate with their hard-earned Diploma after finishing their final examinations in SP last month! :)

Congratulations to our graduates! You made it! :)

I am also happy to be able to share with you a peek into the life of one such graduate - Ashley!

Ashley has done extremely well in her three years in SP.  What is her secret? Read on! :)




*******************


Hi Ashley, thanks for agreeing to this interview! :)
Please tell us more about yourself! :)


I am born on the 28th of March 1995 and 1.68m tall.  I am born in the Chinese zodiac sign of the Pig and the western zodiac sign of Aries.



Your birthday was just a couple of days ago!
How did you celebrate it?



I celebrated my birthday in Korea this year! With an awesome birthday cake from the famous Tous Le Jours bakery in Korea with my friends!






You are a March baby, also an Aries. How far are the descriptions of an Aries accurate for you?


Here are the descriptions which fit my personality.

1.    “Aries Women are independent”
2.    “Aries women are impulsive and naturally impatient” – not on the point of impulsive, but rather impatient. I especially hate waiting for people, especially when they are very slow. 

The following description of an Aries does not fit me

1.   “The Aries woman can seem to be sarcastic to others.”  


Do a personality test (http://www.16personalities.com)State your personality type, e.g. ISFP or INTP etc. Read the analysis of your type http://www.16personalities.com/personality-typesShare whether you agree / disagree with the analysis of yourself.


My personality type is an INTJ (The Mastermind / Analyst), and it is a rough description of who I am.

“They value intelligence, knowledge, and competence, and typically have high standards in these regards, which they continuously strive to fulfill. To a somewhat lesser extent, they have similar expectations of others.”

“INTJ's tremendous value and need for systems and organization” – I usually need a system to follow, and I hate it when everything does not goes according to planned.

“INTJs are natural leaders, although they usually choose to remain in the background until they see a real need to take over the lead.” – I wouldn’t say that I am a natural leader; but I will usually not take the lead unless necessary – I am not one for the spotlight.



Share stories and photos about your school days in primary school


I am from Fairfield Methodist Primary and since it's so long ago, I can't really remember much.

But I remember playing basketball during recess and the canteen food!! Everything was so chill back then.

The school adopted a system where we had to change a CCA every half or once a year. I tried archery and bowling. I remember being a librarian too, HAHA.

Share stories and photos about your school days in secondary school


I continued on my secondary education with Fairfield Methodist.

My CCA was Netball and it was really fun playing as a team during matches and playing around during trainings.

Classes was more bearable back then where we will play/laugh around and go out to the foyer to ‘take a break’ when we get bored of the long hours of back-to-back lessons.

I guess throughout my primary and secondary school my favourite subject was Mathematics. It is a subject if you get it, you get it; and if you don’t, you don’t.






Have you travelled anywhere before?


I've been to Thailand, Hong Kong, Australia, Shanghai, Taiwan, Malaysia, India (Internationalization trip), Nepal (OCIP) and UK (ITP).

Personally, I like London the best - the laid back vibe that the country give, and that everything is so chill there. And it is a metropolitan country, where you can fit right in without feeling out of place.




Why did you choose DBIT course?

I chose DBIT as I wanted a mix of business and IT, not just IT. I like how DBIT is a mixture of both the technology and the business. You will require technology in business, and vice versa.

           

What do you like about DBIT course?What would you want to improve about the DBIT course?

DBIT allows me to try everything out – from designing posters/websites to programming to data analytics. I will then be able to decide on what I really like. 



What do you plan to do after graduation from SP?

I am hoping to get a place in NUS Business Analytics or Information Systems. If not, I will further my studies in SMU Information Systems.



What are your favourite modules in SP?

One of my favourite modules is Business Analytics as I have an interest in that area and like how you are able to derive insights from mere data – this is why I am hoping to further my education in business analytics.

Not my favorite, but the most memorable module in SP is the Electronic Business Project aka final year project. We had to burn the midnight oil for 2 days as we had to rush out the project report for phase 1 and the user guides for phase 2. Completing the user guide was very troublesome as we used had to use Photoshop every single page – there were a total of 6 booklets! But the outcome was extraordinary as it came out well!


Where do you hope to see yourself in 10 years time?

I hope to be doing something that I enjoy in 10 years’ time. This may be of no relevance to my career, but maybe a side interest/hobby?

Do you have a CCA in SP?


I do not have a CCA in SP, however in year 1&2, I am involved in DMIT STARS where I will help out in the various school events/open house.

Do you work part-time while studying?

No I don't as I don't think I can manage and I will constantly feel tired!

Please share three pictures of your past projects or assignments



FYP Mobile Webpage

 

FYP Poster

 
WCD Assignment


Please share more photos of yourself? :)






No comments: