Friday, November 28, 2014

The MetroDBITan student series: Issue #038 - Adriel Lam

Welcome to Issue 38 of our popular MetroDBITan series!

This month, we feature Adriel Lam, a Year 2 student whose birthday happens to be in the month of November as well!

2014 has been a very colorful year for Adriel as he participated in many events such as the Moove Media Hails Young Hearts, Arts Fiesta vocal talents, National Day Parade and to top it all, he was awarded the SAS scholarship!

Want to know more about this cheerful and jovial guy? Read on!



Share stories and photos about your childhood days!

I can't remember much about my baby days, but I do remember things back when I was a tiny little kid.

I had (for whatever reason) my hair completely cut, so most of the time I had really short short hair.

My parents also told me that I was pretty mischievous when I was a kid but I don’t quite remember any incidence of me being naughty when I was young.

Sadly, I did not have many photos taken when I was young.  Here is one photo of me and my cousins!



Share stories and photos about your school days in primary school

I was from Pei Chun Public School!

It was the time where I was most mischievous and disobedient.

I once had a bad habit of not wanting to attend lessons and was a frequent visitor to the sick bay and the dentist. It felt like  time-off from studies as I did not quite like books back then.

It all changed after my wrong-doings was pointed out in Primary 4 by my Form Teacher and till today I am quite grateful to her!

I will also never forget my awesome classmates although my memory about primary school has slightly faded away. But I definitely remember things were simple and easy back then.  I feel a great sense of nostalgia when I think back about our innocence and we were all so cute when we were young, don't you agree?

Below is a fun shot of my Primary 5 class!



Tell us more about your days in Secondary school

Ah... I was from North Vista Secondary School.

Those were good times!

I can clearly recall the first day when I stepped into the school for registration and to buy my books - there was a lot of people.  However through the crowd, I saw one of my primary school friends! And since then we became great friends, joined the same CCA and accompany each other on cafe-hopping trips during our polytechnic semester breaks!

Here is a photo from Secondary 2 with my CCA, Infocomm Club!
     


The subject that I loved most was Literature! I found it fun to read story books and analyze them. Writing was quite fun as I started to pick up reading in secondary school.

Time flew past quickly and soon Secondary 3 descended upon me. Against all odds, I had to start wearing long pants.  I really disliked wearing long pants back then. The first day of Secondary 3 was a little awkward and took me some time to get used to. But not soon after, I found myself promoted to Secondary 4, sat for the 'O' level examinations and hey, it was time to move on.

I am really thankful for the awesome classmates who made school much more exciting and my CCA Infocomm fellow team-members for putting up with my nonsense, haha.

Here is a photo of  my desk in Secondary 4 that I found when sifting through my photo albums.



Last but not least, some pictures of my classmates!





Share your likes and dislikes

Some of the things that I like to do are:
  • taking a slow walk at the park in the early mornings
  • walking past bus stops to see busy working men and women rush for their buses
  • taking quick steps to the LRT station while I wear comfortable clothing and slippers
  • walking towards a nearby MacDonald’s for breakfast.
All these actions make me feel great! And I think Poly might be one of the few stages of life which allows me to do that, it helps me relax and take a break from the fast moving pace of life.

I also enjoy watching CNET on Youtube, catching up on the latest IT news and happenings around the world. The tech shows that they broadcast keeps me entertained at home when I have free time. Recently I have also been hooked on a singing competition “I am a Singer 2” where renowned artists sing from their heart to win. Some of the songs they sing are quite nice to me, you might want to check it out if you love Chinese songs.

For the things that I dislike, hmm, I would say I dislike complicated things, and like to keep things simple. Other than this, I think I do not have other stuff that I dislike.


Share an event which is memorable to you

I think one of the most memorable moments, and a happy one too, was getting the iPhone 5S a year ago.

As we all know, getting an iPhone during the initial months of launch might be quite tough, and I was getting one just 3 weeks after its launch. Every SingTel shop and online store was out of stock. I called almost every retailer and thankfully, Courts had a unit which was the configuration and colour I wanted.

That afternoon, I went down to that Courts store at 2 p.m., waited all the way till 5 p.m., checking every half an hour to ensure no one bought it before my parents arrived. It was nerve-wrecking, fun and honestly, a little insane. But when I left the Courts store with the shiny new piece of metal, I was elated, and was so happy I remembered I ate 2 portions of rice instead of the usual one. It will be something I will not forget for quite some time.

Describe yourself with four different words

Four words I would use to describe myself are:
  • Happy & Hardworking
  • Sometimes-lazy & Most-of-the-time-sleepy
There are sometimes and someday in which I feel really lazy. Sometimes I don’t feel like getting out of bed and even drinking water seems like a chore. Fortunately it doesn't happen too often.  If not, I will grow horizontally in size!

And even though I am awake and alive for most of the day, sometimes, I will feel sleepy and wanting to go to sleep especially when I am outside. However when I am on my bed, I don’t feel sleepy anymore. How ironic. Sometimes I do secretly wish there was a delivery service of humans back to their own home at a small fee, it will be quite amazing but completely irrelevant and ridiculous.


Share your favourite outfits!

Well, I think at this point in time I only have one top that I like and here is a picture of the front of this shirt.


And the back!




Many say it looks like I have the airplane sticker stuck on my shirt and some even tried to pull it out! It is a really cool piece of clothing to me, sadly I can’t remember where I bought it but I will definitely get another one if I see it again!


Three people that you want to thank or shout out to

Hmm.... I would say I would like to shout out to 3 groups of people,  in no order of preference!

The first group would be my closest poly friends! Thanks for the awesomeness!



Next, would be my secondary school classmates! Thanks for the love and crazy conversations!



And lastly, my secondary school CCA mates! Thanks for the food, fun and laughter!



Have you travelled anywhere before?

I have been to quite a number of countries! But my favourite would be Hong Kong because it is extremely vibrant, full of energy and feels like a city that doesn’t sleep. Every day spent in Hong Kong was simply unforgettable - the cinematic mountainous views, beautiful skyline, big shopping centres and great food. I can’t wait for my next visit to Hong Kong.

Amazing views



The iconic Apple store!


An amazing paranoma of the city skyline!


Why did you choose DBIT course?

I chose the DBIT course as I wanted to allow myself to have more options when I graduate.

I do not wish to be restricted to only a particular field of study and hence I felt that Business IT is a good mix of both worlds as I had an interest in both when I was choosing which course to go into after my O levels.


What do you like about DBIT course so far? What would you want to improve about the
DBIT course?

I do like the awesome course mates (classmates) that I have in my class! They are the ones who spice up life in poly and removes the word “dull” from my dictionary. I also appreciate the modules taught as I see a purpose and how they all come together to teach me meaningful skills and assets for the future.

The changes that I would like to see in the DBIT course have been implemented in the teaching curriculum for the current Year 1 students! For example, I like how the new curriculum gives them exposure to how to start a business at a younger age.  These changes would further enable students to develop their full potential in this course!

What do you plan to do after graduation from SP?

After graduating from SP and serving the army, I would definitely want to further my studies before coming out to work! Having a degree will provide as a source of backup income in the future when I venture out.

There are a 2 universities which I aim to go into and they are NUS or NTU.  I hope to major in Computer Science, BSc Business Analytics or Human Resource and I would like to go into the Analytics or Human Resource field!

What are your favourite modules in SP?

I think my favourite modules so far are iDiscover (IDIS), Teamwork and Communication Skills (TCS) and Social Media Marketing (SMM) as they have been the most fun-to-attend lessons and the journey throughout these modules were really enriching! In addition, I also enjoy the modules which allowed me to make friends from other disciplines!


Where do you hope to see yourself in 10 years time?

I think that in 10 years time, I do want to be wiser, earn sufficient amounts of money to sustain my lifestyle, start saving up for retirement and give back to the community in any way that I can!


Do you have a CCA in SP?

Yes I do!  I have 2 CCA’s – Videography Club and Environment Club!

It has been a great time at both CCA’s. I have learnt a lot both technically and socially, as well as made
amazing friends along the way.

Here is a photo of a recent Arts Fiesta Concert in which members of my CCA, the Videography Club helped to film!



Do you work part-time while studying? If you do, share your experience.

Yup I do work at various Community Clubs when there are semester breaks!

The work there is challenging but fun as every day is not the same because I get to meet with different
people from different races and countries. I also get to assist in behind the scenes work with hardworking people that plan events for residents, making it a really interesting part time work.


Please share  pictures of your past projects / assignments

The first project that came to my mind was a video project for my graduating cohort in
Secondary school, here is a link to it!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ndsutnGVnM&list=UUd9pA4OfT2H8rDyUujrJqUw

Next, the participation in the Moove Media Hails Young Heart Competition which enables us to do a project on helping teenagers learn good internet etiquette! Thank you Ms Dora for the opportunity!




Here's some screenshots of my Photoshop and Website Assignments.






Lastly, a picture with 3 other of my classmates which we usually do school projects
together!



Are you currently attached with a partner?

Nope, it will be awesome if it is someone who is funny and easy going!

No comments: