Wednesday, October 29, 2014

The MetroDBITan student series: Issue #037 - Tricia Lim

After featuring two Year 1 students for the August and September 2014 issues of MetroDBITan, we are back to featuring a Year 2 student again for our October cover!

Our cover girl this month is Tricia Lim, a lovely and cheerful girl with a really charming and vivacious smile!

I really love the way she smiles! How does she always keep that happy-looking smile on her face?

Let's find out! :)



Share one memory of your childhood days

When I was in primary school, my mum enrolled me in ballet classes.  But as a kid, I was really chubby. so whenever the instructor told me to suck in my stomach, I had to suck it in all the way until I could not breathe!

After a couple of lessons, I decided to quit because my instructor kept asking me to suck my stomach in when it was already all the way in. It is quite a funny story and I still laugh about it till this date! ;)

How about some memories from your primary school days too?

I was from St. Anthony’s Canossian Primary School and I guess my studies were pretty smooth sailing most of the time then because I honestly don’t recall anything studies-related!

What I do remember is that I was always going to the nearby bubble tea shop to eat cup noodles and drink bubble tea for lunch before heading to the playground to play! It was an almost-daily affair.

I also recall being quite a rebellious kid back then. Once, I had to help out at the library every day for a few months because I was caught vandalizing! My friends and I also constantly cheated during Chinese spellings by hiding the answers in our pencil cases. Thank God I don’t do such things anymore! ;)

One more thing I remember is that I was always going out to the grassy areas at the more secluded parts of my school to catch grasshoppers after school when I was in Primary 6! I really enjoyed it and my class even kept them as class pets.

My best friend back in primary school!




Share stories about your school days in secondary school

My secondary school days were probably the best days of my life so far!

I was from Coral Secondary School and my favourite subject was Mathematics. While preparing for my 'O' levels, I always did my Math papers when I did not feel like studying at all but knew I had to do something productive. I can safely say I did at least 100 different papers altogether!



The photo above was taken on Graduation day and I swear my love for this bunch is endless!

Because of them, I have danced randomly in the middle of the canteen, shuffled around school when we could have just walked and do so many embarrassingly crazy yet fun things!




My favorite memory of life in secondary school would be when this bunch of girls surprised me for my 16th birthday. They blindfolded me, took me to a playground nearby and had me go thought 4 different stages of putting weird things all over me! It was especially horrifying considering how I couldn't see anything.




Share your likes and dislikes

I love reading, writing, taking photos, cooking and exercising!

I enjoy reading books labelled as ‘Survival Literature’ at Kinokuniya. They are basically books about people who have suffered from eating disorders, mental illnesses or even abuses. I find it very interesting because when someone is going through such mental traumas, the way the see the world is very different from the way we see it.

I love to eat and I go gaga over desserts all the time. As the saying goes, “There’s always space for dessert”.

I dislike fast food, or any unhealthy for that matter, which is why I picked up cooking!

I listen to metal music and enjoy going for local gigs where hardcore local bands like Fall of Mirra and Straightforward play at. I personally strongly believe in and support local talents!!


Describe yourself with four different words

Perfectionist, optimistic, straightforward, stubborn.

I am an individual that will not move on to part B of a situation unless I perfect part A. And even if I do, I hate to submit imperfect work. I feel that this is both a strength and a weakness for me because this results in me taking forever to get something done. I can take 5 minutes to draw a square.

Show us three of your favourite clothes, why you like them and where you bought them!


Maroon Romper from The Editor’s Market!

Denim top from Taiwan.

Dress (actually a guy’s tank top) and outerwear from H&M.


Tell us three people that you want to thank or shout out to

The 3 people that I would like to thank the most are definitely my parents and my brother.


I am super thankful to be blessed with this family of mine because, not flaunting in any way, but I feel no family better than mine can ever exist. We have our fair share of fights but it’s all so we can grow closer and get to know each other better. They are the people that I know will always have my back no matter what happens and will never judge me.


Have you travelled overseas before?

Definitely! I love travelling! I’ve been to many countries but the most memorable ones would be Beijing, Boracay and Taiwan.

My favourite so far would be Boracay because I love beach countries and the view at Boracay is insanely gorgeous!

It was the first time I saw the sun cutting through the horizon and I was super excited about it!


With my brother.

We slept in a non-air-conditioned resort and absolutely loved waking up to the smell of the sea, the sound of the waves and the sea breeze.

With the active night life, gorgeous sunrises and sunsets and cheap yet tasty food, Boracay was nothing short of a perfect getaway!

Why did you choose DBIT course?

In all honestly, DBIT is not a course that is anywhere near what I want to do in the future. I chose DBIT because I thought that it was in Business school and thought that if I were to get a Business related diploma, it’d be easier to get into my dream course, Mass Communications, when I graduate from polytechnic.


What do you like about DBIT course so far? What would you want to improve about the DBIT course?

I came in wanting business modules but, ironically, l ended up liking the HTML and Photoshop modules instead!

I think a good way to improve on DBIT would be to make business related modules less dry and boring by having more hands-on and industry-linked.  My Year 1 module Social Media Marketing was the only business module that I actually enjoyed because it was mainly hands-on marketing.

What do you plan to do after graduation from SP? 

After I graduate from SP I’d like to study journalism. Hopefully, if I can make it into a local university, it’d be NTU because that’s the only university that offers journalism.


What are your favourite modules in SP? Why?

My favourite module so far has got to be Web Client Development (WCD), the subject in which we learn how to code websites using HTML, CSS and JQuery.

I have been into HTML coding ever since I was in primary school when I enjoyed blogging. It was the only module that I didn’t dread doing and, although many may curse me for saying this, I hope another HTML module will surface in the last 3 semesters of my poly life, haha!


Where do you hope to see yourself in 10 years time?

In 10 years time I hope to see myself doing what I love – travel journalism!

Do you have a CCA in SP?

I joined SP Photography but stopped going after 1 class because I didn’t have a DSLR.


Please share 3 pictures of your past projects / assignments

DVDE (Digital Visual Design)

WCD (Web Client Development)

WAD (Web Applicant Development)


Are you currently attached with a boyfriend / girlfriend? If not, share with us the qualities of the boy/ girl you would like to partner with?

I’m currently single.

I would like to be with a guy who has a lot of common interests with me and someone that would be able to attend gigs with me! Being a person that enjoys doing things alone a lot, a guy that will give me a lot of freedom is also what I look for in a partner.


Can we have two more pretty pictures of you please?





No comments: