Sunday, April 20, 2014

The MetroDBITan student series: Issue #031 - Lynn Koh




Hi peeps!

21 April 2014 marks the start of the Academic Year 1415 Semester 1 and it is also the day our lovely cover girl for this month, Lynn Koh, is officially promoted to a Year 2 senior! :)

Whether you are a fellow Year 2 like her, a freshman who is beginning your next phase of life with us in Singapore Polytechnic, or a seasoned Year 3 gonna-graduate-soon student, we wish you all the best in this new year! :)

Let's zoom in and find out more about Lynn now!

*****************

Lynn, tell us more about your days in Primary school please?

I was from ChongFu School and my CCA was Chinese Dance.  The Chinese Dance in my school is slightly different from other schools because I not only got to perform for my school events and Singapore Youth Festival (SYF) Dance competition (We got gold), the CCA also allowed me to sit for dance examinations. My favourite subject then was Chinese because it was my strongest subject.




Share stories and photos about your school days in Secondary school

I was in Yishun Town Secondary School, and my CCA remained the same as my primary school Chinese Dance.

This time round, I got to compete in 2 SYF competitions and won Gold with Honours in both!.

I also had the chance to be in the executive committee of the CCA, taking on the role of the Quarter Mistress in-charge of logistics and costume. At the same time,  I was also a Student Councillor.  When I was Secondary 4, I was promoted to become the Council Mentor.  As a Council Mentor, I helped to guide my juniors along their journey as a Councillor. And I must say that I am who am I today is because of Student Council.



SYF selfie
 


Council Investiture
 


Council badges
 



Share some memorable moments of childhood with family or friends

Zoo trip with teacher and friends when I was in Primary 1
 

Family photo during my uncle’s wedding
 

Birthday celebration when I was 5 in my kindergarten

 

Star cruise trip when I was 7
 


Share some memorable moments of your teenage years

Prom night
 

Camp facilitor at Kota Tingi Rainforest resort
 

Kota Tingi Waterfall
 

Graduation Photo
 


Oversea dance performance
 

Sec 4 NA performance
 
Why did you choose DBIT course?

Because I love both IT and Business so I think that this course will suit me the most.


Share your likes and dislikes

Dancing is my passion!

I have been dancing since I was 6 years old, and I like to try different types of dance although I mainly learnt Chinese dance in school and currently attending Latin dancing classes in SP. I am a fan of Adam Lambert because he has a very powerful voice and his cool dress style !




What do you plan to do after graduation from SP?
I hope I can get into local university prefer NUS and NTU or even start working, depend what happened in the future J


What is your ambition in life?
I want to be able to travel around the world and be happy. I wish one day my name will appear under ‘choreographer section ’


Share an event which is memorable to you
 
An event which is very memorable to me will be the 6th The DanceSport Academy (TDA) Championship held on 22 March 2014 this year.

On this day, I went to the dance competition with my dance partner Alvin who is a fellow SP student enrolled in the Diploma in Hotel and Leisure Facilities Management . We joined 6 dance events and we managed to get into the finals for 3 of the events!  Finally, we emerged as the 4th runner up. It was a great achievement for the both of us and we felt really ecstatic as we had worked very hard for it.  Here are some photos of the event:










Describe yourself with four different words

I would describe myself with these 4 words:
  • Caring
  • Cheerful
  • Sensitive
  • Emotional

I think that I am cheerful because I like to smile, and even if things become difficult for me to handle, I will always look at the brighter side of the situation and solve the problems bit by bit as I believe that hard times don't last forever.


Three things or people that inspire you
One of them will be my secondary school friend Haiqel.

The reason why he inspires me is because he really showed me how much one can do to achieve your goal if you have the passion to do it.  In 2009, he and his dance crew  “Fantastic Four” joined the "1 Minute of Fame" organized by MediaCorp and won the 2nd place. In December 2010, they represented Singapore to join the Sydney Underground Dance Battleand won the 3rd place. Currently he is in Republic Polytechnic, learning and teaching hip hop dance with his crew which is named “All Ladies & Gentleman Affairs”.  He is working as a freelance performer as well. He really makes me believe that as long as you have the passion to do something, no matter how difficult or long the journey is, you will make it one day.

Ben Underwood




Ben Underwood is a truly remarkable person who overcame his odds to achieve much more than what even normal humans can do.  Ben had his both eyes removed after being diagnosed with retinal cancer at the age of two; yet he could do activities like skateboarding, cycling ,playing football and basketball. How he managed to achieve this is because he used echolocation (a sonar navigation technique used by bats) to ‘see’ the surrounding. He would make click sounds with his tongue, and these sounds would bounce off surfaces and, with each return, they added to his perception of his surroundings. He could even 'see' a staircase in that corner of the house and a kitchen in the other even if he only visited the house for the very first time. He could between different materials. Unfortunately he eventually died on January 2009 at the age of 16 as the cancer spread to his brain and spine. He taught me that no matter how hard is your life, always life your life to the fullest.

Last but not least Nick Vujicic
 


Despite the fact that he doesn’t have any hands or legs, Nick Vujicic is still able to do activities like swimming, sky diving, scuba diving and surfing. During one of his interview, they asked him what is his toughest part in his life. He said it was a time when he was 8 years old and feeling very depressed, asking why he was born this way and even wanted to commit suicide. However, he did not take his own life as he could not bear the thought of his parents crying at his grave.

Hence he decided to stay strong and live on.  Look at how successful is he today. His actions make me believe that sometimes in life, although there are some points of time that you may want to kill yourself so to end the pain that you are facing,  you must think of the consequences of your action. Don’t use a permanent solution to solve a temporary problem.

Have you travelled anywhere before?

Yup, I went to Malaysia, China (Beijing, Yunnan and Hainan) and Korea (Seoul and Jeju island )before.

And I actually like China(Yunnan) and Korea the most.

I went to Yunnan because our school sent us a for a dance exchange after we got gold with honours at the SYF. When we went there, it was winter.  The scenery was very beautiful and I even got to see the Jade Dragon snow mountain which is a very popular sight-seeing place.



Outdoor Performance
 


Jade Dragon Snow Mountain
 


Dance performance by the minority tribes in Yunnan
 


Beautiful waterfall
 


My trip to Korea is also a school exchange programme. The scenery is also very beautiful!

However, I had a hard time communicating with the Koreans as I could not speak their language.  Nonetheless, I still enjoyed myself and I even got a chance to see snow although it was already the Spring season when we were there.
 


Teddy Bear Museum 
 




Jeju Island
 


Jeju Island
 


Korean Students
 


Korean students
 

Traditional Wedding
 

What are your favourite modules in SP?

I would say is Web Client Development (WCD), Digital Visual Design (DVDE), Database Management Systems (DBMS) and Java Programming (JPRG).

Personally, I like programming so JPRG and WCD are very interesting to me!

I love DVDE because I love design and though this module, I have learnt a lot of Photoshop skills.

As for DBMS, it helps me to understand how our computer system keeps our data.


What are you hoping to learn in Year 2 and Year 3?

I am hoping that I will learn things like Project Management and more Design skills because I think that these 2 things are very important things and can add to your advantage in the future if you know them.

Share your experience and tips about transiting from secondary school to poly.

My tip will be just be yourself!

I know this is harder than it sounds because you may be worried that people will judge you.  But after a while, you will realize that no matter how good a person is, there will still be people who are going to dislike him or her.

As long as you know what you are doing is right, why not just be yourself.

At first I was scared that people will judge me and I didn’t even dare to wear make up to school as I am afraid that people will judge me. In the end, I still got judged by my looks, hahaha! So yeah just be yourself .J


Do you have a CCA in SP?
 
Yes, my CCA in SP is Dancesport.

For those who don’t know what it is about, DanceSport is actually Latin Ballroom dancing such as ChaCha,Rumba,Jive,Samba and Paso Doble.

Currently, I am a committee member, under the Events and publicity management section.

Through this CCA,  I have had a lot of fun experiences such as dance competitions and performances.  I also made many new friends here. Here are some of the CCA photos



Senior farewell ceremony
 


Dance competition
 

 Xmas celebration
 


Dance chalet
 


Do you have best / good friends in SP?
 
Yes, my dance partner Alvin and my classmate Kamaliah.
 
And also my Ex CCA mates KunHan and Alika



Me and Alvin

Me and Alvin



Me and Kamaliah
 
KunHan and Alika







Our outing photo


 
Do you work part-time while studying?

I am not working right now, but I used to work as a photographer with a friend as a team. My job was to take ez-link cards photos for the Primary 1 and 6 in almost all the schools in Singapore. It was a great experience for me as this is a very rare job and I got to meet a lot of different types of students and teachers in different schools. In addition, we also needed to handle the children to make sure they were comfortable and cooperate with us so we could get our job done.



Nathasha, my team partner
 

Selfie before the students come in
 


Please share some pictures of your past projects / assignments
 
DVDE
 

SMM poster design
 


 WCD
 



Are you currently attached with a boyfriend / girlfriend?
No, I am single, haha! For me, I will always look at the character of the person and to see if we areable to get among well. J


Please share more photos of yourself
 

Posing
 

My Baby photo
 

Royal Carribean Trip with relative
 


Royal Carribean Trip with relative
 

Chinese New Year house visit
 









No comments: